Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Cartoons: my true passion, aside from everything else ;)

So I have been drawing and what not since I was a wee lad. Recently I have found myself drawing inspiration from brilliant cartoonists such as Tex Avery, Bob Clampett, and my personal favorite, John Kricfalusi and the Spumco gang, to name a few. I have admired these cats since childhood and noticed that I find it harder to stick to what I had been doing and leaning more towards the influences that these greats have had on me. To show you a bit of contrast: Doing stuff like this






































to doing stuff like

















Although I have tried to create works based on prior stylings, I find it hard to do so and end up going back to a more cartoonish style. I do not have a problem with this at all, in fact I find it kind of nice to veer away from the grotesque, and gorey style that I was adhering to. When I create a work that has an actual comical look to it I feel all happy inside; mainly because it makes people smile and laugh, instead of just myself with my prior stylings, and others looking at me like I need to be institutionalized.

No comments: